Sunday, August 3, 2014

(EXPERIMENTAL) PUMPKIN CAKES


So it's probably well established now that I love to cook.  I  never have meal plans or routines, I don't think it's very challenging and I don't think it's the way to expand my cooking skills, so I always buy what is fresh/in season/on special, keep a few basics and every spice and herb you can imagine (and my herb garden), and go from there.  I love it.

Every Sunday I cook a bunch of stuff I love (see what I did there?!) so weekday working meals aren't a bore or a take-out (M and I are both lucky enough to sit at desks all day and leave and arrive home in the dark... ya, hoo).

This past Sunday I made these pumpkin patties.

They came about because I had half a pumpkin left over from my garden and I found giant bunches of fresh coriander on special at the market for .99c (I know - they were huge too and had the roots still attached!).  And so these were born.





EXPERIMENTAL PUMPKIN CAKES

I apologise in advance for the extreme vagueness of this poor excuse for a recipe and once again remind myself to start writing stuff down...

Ingredients;

-
Half a small pumpkin, grated, and zapped in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (until softened but not soggy.  If you're not into microwaving, you could steam it a little)
-
About 2 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander root and stem, plus a few leaves for colour
- About a tablespoon of shredded coconut
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- About half a cup of quick oats (or regular oats chopped up in your food processor)
- A little (1/4 of a tsp) of finely grated lime zest (I used a microplane if you have one)
-
Flour and oil of your choice for coating and frying (I used rye and coconut)

Method;

1. Combine all the ingredients except the flour and oil together.  Add a little salt to taste.  if the mixture is too wet, add more quick oats.
2. With hands covered in cold water (which you'll need to keep wetting between patties), form patties and coat in flour.  I needed to be pretty forceful in compacting them together, but I didn't want to add any more egg or any flour to the mix.
3. Fry the patties in a little oil until golden on both sides and sit on paper towel once they're done to soak up the excess oil (unless you love oil, then don't do this).

When I made these it only made 4 patties, next time I will definitely make more.  


All done!

I took the above photo because it showed the patties, but I ended up adding left over roast veg, plain yoghurt, more fresh coriander (I am obsessed) and a quick home made guac (well, avocado mashed up with a little oil, salt, lime juice and garlic).

I was a fan, hopefully you are too!

Patties are so so easy to make.  Combine pretty much whatever you want, use oats/flour/cook rice/grated carrot (squeeze out the juice) to bulk them up, and egg to thin them out.  Just experiment!  You can't go too wrong, and if you're scared of frying you can oven them on baking paper (a little spray oil will help).

Do you do a Sunday cook up?

Mine always takes a couple of hours as the thought of eating the same thing every day bores me to tears so I have to make a few different things and usually a meat-y option for M (I only eat fish these days and haven't touched red meat or chicken in 10 years).

Nat x



No comments:

Post a Comment